Last January, over 60 people were evacuated from South American restaurant El Vaquero in London.
The fire had broken out in the kitchen and gutted the extraction system on the ground and first floor of the three-floor building, as well as damaging the roof.
The fire was believed to have been caused by the accidental ignition of grease and fat through cooking, which spread to the ducting system.
Crews had to extensively cut away ducting, which ran from the ground floor to the roof of the building, to find out where within the system the fire was located.
A fire brigade spokesperson said: “Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”
At Vent, our mission is to assist in ensuring your ductwork stays continually clean to TR19 standards, 365 days a year. Vent AIR helps control the build-up of grease along the entire route of the extraction system and we carry out inspections periodically to ensure grease levels remain minimal.
Fight the FOG, not the fire.