DW/172 provides comprehensive guidance to the design, installation and maintenance of kitchen ventilation systems in commercial properties. Over the years it has expanded to include legislative changes and new standards, and is widely regarded as the most authoritative industry specification specifically for commercial kitchens.
The BESA Ventilation Group recently carried out a review process taking into account new thinking, technical advancements (e.g. Demand Controlled Ventilation) and innovation. The 2018 version of DW/172 has been updated to reflect current legislations and the latest cooking techniques and design of catering equipment, by all sections of the catering industry.
Examples of modifications and new standards that have been included are:
- improved detail on the certification of grease filters, as per new standards set by the Loss Prevention Council (LPS1263) which are endorsed by the Association of British Insurers.
- improved detail on the Appliance Coefficient Schedule
- requirements for fire suppression systems - an interlock between the ventilation system and the gas supply
- reflects the latest cooking techniques e.g. a section for solid fuel equipment is now included
- a modernisation of the lighting section
- a new section for Demand Controlled Kitchen Ventilation systems
- modifications for pollution control
- a new section for recirculation systems
- modifications to cleaning and maintenance
- control panels
Vent operates according to official guidance.
At Vent, our mission is to support you in your legal obligation with a grease control system that helps to ensure your entire kitchen extraction system - including the canopy, filters, fan, ductwork, risers etc - is kept continually clean, 365 days a year, in order to meet legal requirements. Vent AIR operates in accordance with the guidance set out in DW/172. For more information on how we can optimise your current grease control program, please contact us.